Articles
Crypto Market Analysis

OpenAI kills off AI video app Sora after 6 months

User Image

Par Anonyme

Créé March 25, 2026|2 mins de lecture
Main Image

OpenAI CEO Sam Altman reportedly said all its text-to-video models would be shuttered, and a $1 billion investment from Disney has also been cancelled.

OpenAI has announced it is shutting down its video generation platform Sora after just six months, with CEO Sam Altman reportedly telling staff the company is winding down all of its video products.

“We’re saying goodbye to the Sora app,” Sora posted to X on Tuesday. “We know this news is disappointing. We’ll share more soon, including timelines for the app and API and details on preserving your work.”

Sora was released in September to a buzzy reception as the ChatGPT maker sought to make inroads on short-form video content popular across TikTok and Meta's Instagram.

However, the app also faced backlash over concerns that it would further the proliferation of realistic deepfakes. OpenAI cracked down on some deepfakes generated by its platform after pressure from celebrities.

Altman told staff the company was winding down products that used video models, including the developer version of Sora and the app's video functionality in its generative AI chatbot ChatGPT, The Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday.

Altman also said the Sora team will shift its focus to longer-term bets such as robotics, amid a company-wide redirect to concentrate on productivity tools for enterprises and individual users.

Related: OpenAI wins defense contract hours after government ditches Anthropic

OpenAI launched Sora last year as a text-to-video generator, and it racked up 1 million downloads in just five days. Data analytics firm Sensor Tower estimates that last month, Sora was downloaded around 600,000 times.

In December, the Walt Disney Co. signed a three-year licensing agreement to become Sora’s first major content partner, giving users access to more than 200 characters from franchises including Marvel, Pixar and Star Wars.

A Disney spokeswoman told The Wall Street Journal that the deal, which included a $1 billion equity investment in OpenAI, will not move forward.

Cointelegraph contacted OpenAI and Disney for comment.

The AI market has been the subject of significant hype. It’s projected to be worth more than $4.8 trillion by 2033, affect 40% of jobs and emerge as a dominant frontier technology.

Magazine: Google flags crypto malware, retiree loses $840K in ‘expert’ scam: Hodler’s Digest, Mar. 15 – 21

Source: CoinTelegraph


D'autres articles publiés récemment

Strategy sits on $1.4 billion profit on bitcoin holdings as price surges
Strategy sits on $1.4 billion profit on bitcoin holdings as price surges

Bitcoin

Strategy’s common stock rose 10% in Friday pre-market trading to $120, the highest level in two mo...

Treasury's latest measure isn't QE or YCC. Still, bitcoin is skyrocketing. Here's why.
Treasury's latest measure isn't QE or YCC. Still, bitcoin is skyrocketing. Here's why.

Bitcoin

The rally in hard assets isn’t necessarily about what the Treasury is doing, but what its move sig...

Coldcard ships firmware after $114 million bitcoin theft; says AI helped catch more bugs
Coldcard ships firmware after $114 million bitcoin theft; says AI helped catch more bugs

Bitcoin

Three weeks of review turned up problems unrelated to the flaw that cost users $114 million, but upd...

Pass the Clarity Act
Pass the Clarity Act

Blockchain

Reopening a settled provision four weeks before a vote would sink the bill, argues Summer Mersinger,...

Crypto advocates join in suing Illinois over digital asset tax
Crypto advocates join in suing Illinois over digital asset tax

Blockchain

The Crypto Council for Innovation and the Blockchain Association added another lawsuit against the s...

Bitcoin seeks support near $77K as BTC, gold near 100-day highs
Bitcoin seeks support near $77K as BTC, gold near 100-day highs

Bitcoin

Bitcoin volatility eased after BTC hit its highest level since mid-May, while gold joined the crypto...