Articles
Crypto Market Analysis

Kraken won‘t negotiate after extortion attempt with client data

User Image

بواسطة مجهول

تم الإنشاء April 14, 2026|2 دقائق للقراءة
Main Image

The exchange’s head of security said there had been two incidents involving “inappropriate access” to client data, involving about 2,000 user accounts.

Kraken’s chief security officer said that the company would not be negotiating with a criminal group threatening to release certain information related to client data.

In a Monday X post, Nick Percoco reported an attempt to extort an unspecified amount from the cryptocurrency exchange by an unnamed group “threatening to release videos of our internal systems with client data shown.” He said Kraken’s systems “were never breached” and user funds were not at risk from the attempt.

“We will not pay these criminals,” said Percoco. “We will not ever negotiate with bad actors.”

According to Percoco, there had been two incidents involving “inappropriate access” to client data in February 2025 and “more recently,” involving about 2,000 user accounts. He added that Kraken was working with federal law enforcement to investigate the criminal group, potentially leading to arrests.

Related: US Treasury expands cybersecurity threat intel to crypto industry

The incident highlights how crypto exchange security protecting personal data and user funds remains paramount as the industry continues to expand. There have been numerous instances where individuals tied to crypto companies or with digital asset holdings have been extorted or faced attempts at extortion. 

In May 2025, Coinbase reported that cybercriminals threatened to leak user data in an attempt to extort $20 million out of the crypto exchange.

The breach, which the exchange said had compromised data from about 70,000 users, was the result of bribes to customer support contractors.

More than $178 million was lost across major crypto incidents in March 2026, up from February’s $49.3 million, according to blockchain intelligence firm Nominis.

Authorization abuse continued to represent the primary attack vector, according to the report, with multiple incidents last month involving victims unknowingly approving transactions that gave hackers direct access to their funds.

Magazine: Should users be allowed to bet on war and death in prediction markets?

Source: CoinTelegraph


مقالات أخرى نشرت مؤخرا

Crypto rails are becoming the default payment layer for AI agents, report says
Crypto rails are becoming the default payment layer for AI agents, report says

Blockchain

A new report from Keyrock says stablecoins on blockchain rails are becoming the go-to payment layer ...

AI is speeding up the quantum threat to crypto, security experts warn
AI is speeding up the quantum threat to crypto, security experts warn

Crypto Market Analysis

Researchers and builders believe that artificial intelligence may be accelerating the quantum timeli...

A massive $1 trillion hidden market is waiting to be unlocked in bitcoin, says new report
A massive $1 trillion hidden market is waiting to be unlocked in bitcoin, says new report

Bitcoin

Ledn forecasts the bitcoin-backed lending market could grow to $1 trillion within a decade as new re...

CFTC officials who questioned prediction markets were suspended: NYT
CFTC officials who questioned prediction markets were suspended: NYT

Crypto Market Analysis

A New York Times investigation found that senior CFTC officials who raised concerns about Polymarket...

Tom Lee’s Ethereum portfolio down $7.35B as ETH price outlook worsens
Tom Lee’s Ethereum portfolio down $7.35B as ETH price outlook worsens

Ethereum

ETH’s bearish chart setup points to a 25% drop toward $1,600, risking over $10 billion in paper lo...

Euro and USD stablecoins depeg amid ongoing $2.8M StablR exploit
Euro and USD stablecoins depeg amid ongoing $2.8M StablR exploit

Crypto Market Analysis

The suspected cause is a private key compromise of one owner in the minting multisig account, said B...